Patient Instructions: Caring for Your Denture
Your beautiful new denture has been hand crafted to look as natural as possible. The individual colours in the gums will last the life of the denture if you properly care for them.
Storage of the Denture
To avoid warping, your denture should always be stored in water when not in your mouth.
Adhesives for the Denture
Denture adhesives can improve the retention and stability of your denture and reduce the accumulation of food particles beneath your denture.
- Use three or four pea-sized dollops on each denture; if you begin to require an increasing amount of adhesive to maintain the same level of retention, please make an appointment to evaluate the fit and stability of your denture.
- Completely remove denture adhesives from your denture and your mouth on a daily basis.
- Remove the bacterial biofilm and any residual adhesive from your mouth with a washcloth.
- Remove the bacterial biofilm and any residual adhesive from your denture by soaking* and brushing.
* The temperature should never be hotter than you would wash your hands with.
* To protect the colours, do not use bleaching products or any denture cleansers that contain bleach.
Denture Cleaning Options:
- Soak for 15 minutes in a solution of equal parts water and white vinegar. This will make hard calculus/tartar deposits soft enough to remove with a toothbrush.
- Soak in an effective, non-abrasive denture cleanser, following the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Denture cleansers should ONLY be used outside of the mouth.
- Always thoroughly rinse after soaking and brushing with denture cleanser before reinserting your denture into your mouth.
- For the health of your mouth, do not wear your dentures for more than 24 hours continuously.
- Leave your denture out of your mouth during showering.
- Consider NOT wearing your denture when sleeping.
Yearly Recommendations for Dentures
To minimize biofilm accumulation over time, bring your denture back to our office for an annual ultrasonic cleaning. Additionally, an annual check-up is recommended for maintenance of optimum denture fit and function and for an assessment of your overall oral health status.
Practice Hours – Reception – (07) 3870 3333
After hours: Dr Paul McKay – 0432 991 793